b. 25 July 1798, Kentucky
d. 29 November 1839, Waverly, Morgan County, Illinois
m/1. about 1819, Posey County, Indiana
d. 1835, Edgar County, Illinois
m/2. 17 January 1829
Children with Nancy Wilkerson:
- Isaac (b. 1820) married Nancy Bennett
- William (b. 1822) married (1) Rebecca Smith, (2) Lucy M. Smith
- Charlotte (b. 1824) married Wright Miller
- Celia D. (b. 1826) married (1) Edward Bennett, (2) Charles Wiggins, (3) James Cleveland, (4) Henry Atkinson
Children with Anna Wilson:
- Sarah E. (b. 1831) married Harvey Withrow
Eli and Anna Barbre moved to Sangamon County, Illinois, in 1835. Elder Eli Barbre, one of the ministers in the Springfield Association, moved his family often as he worked “as a laborer in the vineyard of his Divine Master.” His first four children were born in Indiana, while the younger ones were born in Illinois.
One of the children returned to Indiana to live. Isaac Barbre moved to Illinois with his parents but returned to Indiana, where he married and served for three years in an Indiana regiment during the Civil War.
Two of these children lived in Illinois at the time of their father’s death in 1839. William
Barbre, Eli’s second son, married in Sangamon County, Illinois, and served in Company B, 10th Illinois Cavalry. Celia D. Barbre resided in Clark County, Illinois. Charlotte Barbre lived in Lynn County, Oregon, in 1839.
From: Waverly Genealogical & Historical Society Newsletter, Waverly, Illinois, #65 (October 1994), p. 5.