b. 17 January 1831, Decatur County, Indiana, to William and Jane (David) Munns
d. 13 January 1878, Knox County, Missouri
m. 16 January 1856, Knox County, Missouri
Catherine Eleanore Jolliffe
b. 18 September 1835, Indiana, to Raphael and Priscilla (Herrick) Jolliffe
d. 22 October 1914, Cushing, Payne County, Oklahoma
Children with Catherine Eleanore Jolliffe:
• Luella Jane (1857-1881)
• John Milton (1859-1860)
• James Samuel (1861-1910) married (1) Sarah E. Coulson, (2) Anna Emma Gritli “Margaret/Maggie” Forter
• Nancy Priscilla (1863-1882)
• David Silvester (1866-1869)
• Robert Bruce (1869-1950) married Mary Elizabeth McCauley
• Dora May (1871-1960’s) married Mark Branstetter
• William Franklin (1872-1876)
• Sarah Catherine (1874-1875)
• Georgie (1877-1878)
David’s family had lived in Decatur County, Indiana, for nine years before David was born. They left the state about 1838 for Knox County, Missouri. David’s widow and children moved to Payne County, Oklahoma, in the early 1890’s. David and his four brothers were farmers in Knox County, Missouri.
On 29 February 1864, David enlisted in Company E, 21st Missouri Infantry, as a Union soldier. On 25 February 1866, it was said that he deserted at Mobile, Alabama. An act of Congress on 5 July 1884 removed the charge of desertion and gave him an official discharge. David contacted tuberculosis while in the service, but did not die from it until 1878. Six of his ten children also died of tuberculosis.
The marriage between David’s son James and Maggie was a second marriage for both of them; her first husband was Hubert Edward Jurney.
Cecile N. Beal