Philo H Allyn
b. 7 March 1824, Posey County, Indiana, to Abijah and Catharine (Hooper) Allyn
d. 5 November 1888, Lexington, Dawson County, Nebraska
m. 25 January 1849, Posey County, Indiana
b. 10 May 1827, North Carolina, to Moses and Deborah (Chipman) Welborn
d. 19 November 1902, Callaway, Custer County, Nebraska
Children with Sarah Welborn:
- Virgil (1849-1928) married (1) Mary Jane Wilson, (2) Arvilla Kern
- Mary (b. 1851) married (1) George Manning, (2) Henry Newcomer
- Joseph W. (1854-1880)
- William C. (1859-1900) married Hattie Allen
- Julia (1862-1961) married James W. Thompson
- Charles Howard (1863-1943) married Minerva Tesch
- Nora E. (1866-1867)
Philo’s parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles came to Posey County, Indiana, from Cayuga County, New York, about 1820. In 1857, Philo purchased land in Andrew County, Missouri. He moved to Chicago, Illinois, in 1877. By the summer of 1880, he had moved again, this time to St. Joseph, Buchanan County, Missouri. His final move was to Dawson County, Nebraska, in 1885, and he died there in 1888.
Philo was engaged in agriculture and livestock. His son, Joseph, allegedly committed suicide on 27 January 1880, in Buchanan County, Missouri. There was initially some suspicion that it might have been a homicide rather than a suicide.