Johann George Streckfuss
b. 3 March 1814, Windsheim, Bavaria, Germany, to Johann and Margaretha B. (Schneider) Streckfuss
d. 12 December 1880, Okawville, Washington County, Illinois
m. 16 May 1847, Willshire Township, Van Wert County, Ohio
b. 17 August 1818, Rosstal, Bavaria, Germany, to Michael and Margaretha Barbara (Steignmann) Blaseneck
d. 19 May 1882, Davenport, Scott County, Iowa
Children with Margaretha Blaseneck:
- Christiana Frederika (b. 1849) married Bruno Miessler
- Erhardt August (1851-1867)
- Johann Freidrich (1852-1924) married Maria Eirich
- Johann Adam (1855-1899) married Amalie Mennicke
- Katharina Dorothea Louisa (b. 1858)
- Maria Catharina Elisabeth (1860-1869)
Johann and Margaretha Streckfuss immigrated to Adams Township, Allen County, Indiana, from Willshire Township, Van Wert County, Ohio, in 1856 and emigrated from Indiana to Okawville, Washington County, Illinois, in 1860.
Pastor Streckfuss was a student under Pastor Loehe in Germany, 1844-1845, and was sent to America in 1846, landing in New York on 8 May. On Easter Sunday 1847, he was installed as pastor of the German Lutheran congregation in Van Wert County, Ohio.
Later in 1847, Johann traveled by buggy with Pastor Adam Ernst of Marysville, Ohio, to Chicago for the founding of the Missouri Synod. At that meeting, Streckfuss was examined and accepted as a charter member. In 1856 he moved to Allen County, Indiana, where he served as pastor of the Holy Trinity and Martini Lutheran churches until his removal to Illinois in 1856.
Two family bibles that belonged to Pastor Johann Georg Streckfuss are now housed at Concordia Historical Institute, 801 DeMun Ave., St. Louis MO 63105.
N. Ridgeville OH