Samuel S Tennis
b. 14 January 1790, Pennsylvania
d. 15 September 1888, Forest City, Winnebago County, Iowa
m. 25 March 1831, Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana
b. 17 April 1806, Pennsylvania
d. 24 April 1886, Norway Township, Winnebago County, Iowa
Children with Jane Crow:
- Eliza married B. F. Wellman
- William (1832-1914) married Laura C. Westbury
- Joseph Tennis (1837-1909) married Carrie Belle Johnson
- Mary married J. J. Kewley
- Harriet Catharine “Kate” (1841-1942) married George Washington Strong
- Lora married H. S. Botsford
- Samuel W. (d. 1864)
- Elsa Ann (1850-1908) married Egbert D. Skinner
Samuel resided at Eel River Township, Allen County, Indiana, and Union Township, LaPorte County, Indiana. In 1859 he emigrated from Indiana to Forest City, Winnebago County, Iowa, and in 1861 he moved to Norway Township, Winnebago County.
According to family tradition, Samuel had a previous marriage to a woman who was the mother of Philip.
Samuel was elected county judge in Winnebago County, Iowa, in 1863 and re-elected in 1865 and 1867. When that position was abolished in 1867, he became the county auditor for one year.
Samuel’s son, Samuel W., died on 9 June 1864, while serving during the Civil War. He was marching with Company B of the Iowa Volunteers en route to Memphis, Tennessee.
Kay Shoenwalk Shariff